In 1946, Fr. Anthony Elsing, Pastor of Sacred Heart Parish, with the help of the extension society and a land donation, set up a Mission-Center on MacArthur Street. The Center included a convent for four religious sisters from the Sisters of Mercy of The Blessed Sacrament, a clinic, and a hall making it the foundation of the future site of Holy Family Parish.
The priests from Sacred Heart Church attended to the spiritual needs of the people until 1952. The Sisters of Mercy worked along with the priest providing support for the Mission-Center and helping with the educational needs of the community. With Bishop Mariano S. Garriga, a more permanent arrangement went into effect to change the Mission-Center into a Parish of the Diocese of Corpus Christi. Oblate Father Tomas Fernandez celebrated the first Mass of the Parish in 1952. Ground was broken in 1954 for the New Holy Family Church and was dedicated January 27,1955.
With the help of the Mercedarian Sisters of the Blessed Sacrament, Holy Family Catholic School was established in 1956 began educating students in a 1-Room School (Currently the Chapel). This school's founding was in response to the educational inequities towards Hispanic children at the time. In 1958, Father Fernandez initiated plans to build a parochial school for the parish of Holy Family. On August 28, 1958, the new building was blessed and dedicated by Bishop Garriga. The attendance grew until there were eventually 180 children registered under the supervision and tutelage of the Mercedarian Sisters of the Blessed Sacrament.